Becoming an Accreditation Body
The NCSC is the authority for appointing Accreditation Bodies (ABs) for Cyber Essentials on behalf of HMG. An AB is responsible for appointing one or more Certifying Bodies (CBs) to carry out Cyber Essentials evaluations and certify organisations which comply with the requirements of the scheme.
Organisations may apply to be an AB, providing certain criteria are met:
- ABs are responsible for maintaining standards across their CBs
- ABs cannot offer the services of a Certification Body, ie, ABs cannot certify organisations directly
- ABs must themselves be certified by one of the Cyber Essentials scheme CBs, though they cannot be certified by a CB which is under any form of contract to them (or in any other mutually binding agreement)
- ABs should not appoint companies or organisations which are their direct subsidiaries as a CB
- All assessors must hold a qualification in an appropriate subject, which has been approved by HMG as suitable for Cyber Essentials
The application process is quite detailed and prior to undertaking that we require a short proposal from you. It should include:
- A short description of your organisation/company and its key markets
- A short proposal on how you would grow the volume of Cyber Essentials certification through the business community
- A short description on how you would structure your service offering through your Certification Body (CB) community
- Your long term vision for improving cyber security awareness in industry
The proposal does not need to be lengthy but it should have sufficient detail in order for a review panel to reach a decision. You will be provided with feedback on your proposal and we may wish to call you in for a meeting to discuss it.
At this time we are only able to accept proposals to become an AB from UK registered organisations/companies.
A complete set of requirements for ABs can be found in the Download area below. If, after reading the documents you would like to be considered to be an AB, please forward an expression of interest to the Service Managers via the NCSC Enquiries team.
Becoming a Certification Body
If your organisation would like to become a Certifying Body, please contact one of the Accrediting Bodies:
For guidance outlining acceptable use of Cyber Essentials content and its assets, please refer to the NCSC terms and conditions.